In this article I will reveal a secret that will allow you to always and automatically have all the customizations of your metatrader regardless of the PC you will use.
In practice, how to always have the same Metatrader platform (MT4 or MT5) synchronized automatically on each PC you’re using.
Want to know how?
Everything is due to the use of DropBox. But let’s start from the beginning.
Those who operate using the MetaTrader 4 or 5, they often use it in different places and on different locations (for example from the PC in the office, and then at home), and every time they add a chart, an indicator or a parameter in one location , then they are forced to redo the change manually on all other stations, and sometimes this is really annoying.
With DropBox, which you can download for free, you can finally solve this problem and let the system sync all changes for you.
Warnings before moving on:
- Close the metatrader.
- Be sure to remember the username and password of the brokerage account you want to sync.
- Every time you want to turn off your PC, you will need to necessarily close the Metatrader first and then wait for DropBox to conclude the synchronization.
If you already use Dropbox on your PC, you can skip to step 8, otherwise continue with this tutorial.
Metatrader Synchronization – Download the Dropbox
1) First, download by clicking on this link the free program DropBox
2) Fill in the fields with your name, the email you use regularly and a secure password, put the flag on I agree Dropbox terms and click on ‘Sign Up For Free’.
3) The program installation files will be downloaded automatically.
4) Click Run.
5) Wait until the program is installed.
6) Enter the email address used in the initial configuration and the password you chose, and click on login.
7) Choose the option ‘Sync All’
What type of trader are you?
74-89% of retail CFD accounts lose money
8) Right click on the Metatrader icon on your desktop, select Properties, and then see the File path, in order to immediately identify the path to find the correct folder (or if you want to open a new account, you can check our posts best forex brokers for beginners and best brokers for MT5).
9) Be sure the MetaTrader is closed and then copy the whole folder of the metatrader you want to be synchronized on all PCs.
10) Paste the Metatrader folder in the Dropbox folder on your computer.
11) IMPORTANT: Once copied the folder in Dropbox, create a new shortcut on the desktop of the terminal.exe file. You can find it in the DropBox\MT4 folder.
12) Install DropBox on all the PCs on which you want this version of MetaTraderto be available, wait for the syncing to be finished, then creates a new connection as described in point 11.
13) Start the Metatrader, enter name and password, and enjoy your synchronized MT4 platform.
Synchronized MT4 – Frequently Asked Questions
A) Can I use DropBox to synchronize other files and data?
Of course. But be careful not to finish the free space available in DropBox.
B) Can I use the Synchronized Metatrader to make EA backtest?
You can, but it’s highly not recommended, because the historical and test files can be very large and occupy the free space available on DropBox. Obviously, the space problems do not exist if you decide to upgrade to Dropbox business.
C) Can I use simultaneously the Synchronized Metatrader on multiple workstations?
Yes, but it is not recommended, as the closing or opening of the Metatrader on multiple PCs at the same time can generate conflicting files, and occupy space unnecessarily, even if it won’t cause a corruption of the Metatrader.
D) If I forget to close the Metatrader, or I don’t wait the synchronization to be completed, what happens?
The program will continue to run on all PCs, but the latest changes may not have been synchronized and therefore not be available.
We have finished!
Now you can enjoy your Metatrader, with all your customizations, anytime, anywhere, on any computer you want!