When you are choosing a broker for trading, there are of course many elements that you have to consider.
Among these is the best forex trading platform. Also though, you have to give a lot of consideration to the size of trading you would like to do.
Trading standard lot sizes may not meet the needs of everyone. You may want to try micro trading, or even nano trading. For that reason, we have compiled this dedicated collection of information to help you choose the very best nano lot size forex broker possible.
What is a Nano lot in Forex Trading?
This is more common question among forex traders than some may expect. You may have heard of nano trading, but what is it exactly?
Nano trading is still very much forex trading, just with a trading size that is a fraction of that of standard trading. In fact, a nano trading lot is equal to 1/1000 of a standard lot. So, where a standard lot (non-leveraged) requires $100,000 to trade, for forex brokers with nano lot size, you will need just $100.
This amount can go even lower on some occasions depending on the broker. Some will make forex nano trading available for as little as $10. With that taken into account then, it is easy to understand how some in forex trading can be confused on exactly what nano trading is. We can safely say though that if the size is at least 1/1000 of a standard lot, it can be considered nano trading.
Micro trading on the other hand is 1/100 or 0.01 of a standard lot. Both types of forex trading are perfectly ideal for those starting out in the industry who wish to closely manage their trading risks.
Top 3 Brokers to Choose for Nano Lots Trading
Due to the fact that micro trading lots are just 0.01 of a standard lot which is typically small enough to manage trading risk for most, it can be a challenge to find brokers that facilitate opening trades for a nano lot. The following forex brokers that we have listed though do:
If you choose Oanda, you can firstly look forward to benefiting from the fact they have no minimum deposit requirement for forex trading. Once inside, you will find one account type you can select.
In fact, Oanda technically offers nano trading and even more since the broker does not operate on a lot trading basis. This means if you are trading forex through Oanda broker, you can place trades worth as little as one unit of the base currency you are trading (nano trading is 100 units). This keeps things as flexible as possible to accommodate all traders.
Through Oanda you can also utilize the much respected MT4 trading platform for your nano trading. Prior to that, Oanda also allows for opening of an unlimited demo account that fully replicates the real-life trading experience. Added to that, when you do deposit, there are typically no fees attached.
Why should you open an account with Oanda?
- Oanda provides for a no minimum deposit approach which really allows you to get started in forex trading easily.
- The extremely low lot size, as low as is possible, further eliminates any barrier to entry you may face as a forex trader.
- Your Oanda account can be linked to Zulutrade with a minimum deposit of $100 to open up more copy trading opportunities.
The next nano trading lot broker we feature is XM. They allow for nano lot trading through both their Ultra-Low and Micro Account types, giving you two options to choose from.
With this, you can engage in trading that starts from just 0.1 nano lots (10 currency units) with the MT4 trading platform, and 1 nano lot (100 currency units) if you would like to trade through the MT5 trading platform.
The XM minimum deposit if you are trading is just $5 for their micro account type and $50 for their Ultra-Low account type, though the former of these is only available outside Europe. As with many other top brokers we feature, there are no XM deposit fees in the majority of cases and it comes with the availability of a completely life-like and unlimited demo account for you to try out.
Why should you open an account with XM?
- The minimum deposit with XM is either a low or a very low minimum deposit depending on your account type. This can be a great help to many for getting started.
- The XM spreads are very low and competitive within the forex trading market. Combining this with the small lot sizes catered for and it can be a great advantage.
The final nano lot size forex broker we feature is FxOpen. Here you can access the FxOpen Micro Account that allows you to trade from volumes as low as one nano lot which is of course equal to 0.1 of a micro lot.
When it comes to forex trading platforms, the broker offers both MT4 and MT5 both of which are highly respected by the forex trading industry and fellow traders. Moving to the deposit, this is as low as it possibly can be, with a minimum deposit of just $1. Alongside this, there are generally no deposit fees to worry about in most cases.
There is a comprehensive FxOpen demo account available, however at the moment this account does not include micro accounts. Still though, as a forex trader, FxOpen is a very accessible broker and great option as a broker with nano size lot trading.
Why should you open an account with FxOpen?
- The low minimum deposit along with competitive trading sizes make FxOpen a great choice for newer traders.
- For those who wish to engage in copy trading, this is also possible. You can link your account with ZuluTrade for a minimum deposit of $100.
Pros and Cons of Nano lot trading
As with all forms of trading and everything in life, there are both pros and cons to nano lot trading. Here we have compiled a few of the most common:
- The risks involved are kept very low thanks to the low trading volumes and deposits that are facilitated.
- Many of the micro and nano lot trading forex brokers also facilitate a no or low minimum deposit and often apply no deposit fees to your funds at all.
- Nano lot trading can be the ideal place for new traders to start out with the minimal amount of risk, but still opportunity to profit from forex trading.
- Along with the low risks, some traders amy feel that the rewards from nano trading can be similarly low.
- The asset availability from some brokers may be more limited when you are trading nano lots.
Mini Lot, Micro Lot, Nano Lot: what’s the difference?
As you may have experienced, there is a lot of variety in the forex trading sector when it comes to lot sizes. This does give you the flexibility as a forex trader to choose an amount of money to invest that suits you and also to maintain a good level of risk management in trading.
The lot sizes available are usually as follows:
Standard Lots – There are the most widely available and base type of lot usually traded with forex brokers. These standard lots are equal to $100,000 (100,000 units of base currency).
Mini Lots – The value of these is 1/10 that of a standard lot or $10,000 (10,000 units of base currency).
Micro Lots – The value of these is 1/100 of a standard lot or $1000 (1000 units of base currency).
Nano Lots – The value of these is 1/1000 of a standard lot or less. $100 or less (100 units of base currency or less).
Cent accounts, although they often include the trading of micro and nano lots, are a slightly different account type. These are also available within the offering of some forex brokers.